Saturday, August 24, 2013

Get Rowdy, Get Tough!

It's almost September, and the kids are back in school.  We've had a couple chilly nights, but nothing out of the ordinary. Still, Fall is sneaking up on us.  The farmers are harvesting their crops, the orchards will soon be filled with cider donuts and pumpkins, the leaves on the trees are slowly changing colors and football season is upon us.

Growing up, football season meant games under the lights on Friday nights, wearing our letter jackets, cheering our team to victory.  We also had a great marching band that was sure to please at halftime.  But cheerleaders? Pffft... Not my thing.

Well, guess what? I've got a cheerleader of my very own.  If that's not funny enough to you, here's more: I am her coach.  That's right.  I grew up playing basketball, and softball, and the piano, and singing in the choir, and I am now a cheerleading coach.  Go ahead and laugh; it's pretty comical. 

Cheerleading practice started a month ago, and my girls have been hard at work, learning thirty cheers and a very detailed halftime dance.  These girls are dancers and gymnasts and tennis players and soccer players and swimmers, but cheerleading is all new to them. So we learned together. 

Earlier this week, the girls got to meet their football team for this year.  We met them after practice and I'd have to say there is nothing cuter than nine tiny cheerleaders handing out treats to 15 first-year tackle football players, who I'm sure all have hopes of the NFL in their future.  The night was filled with giggles and shyness and whispers and very little conversation between the boys and girls.

 photo photo2_zpsfddfff25.jpg

Our season officially starts next week, but tonight was a special night.  Tonight was our Kickoff Classic, where all 14 football teams got their chance to play on the varsity field, and our cheerleaders were there to cheer them on. 

Pre-game Excitement:
 photo photo9_zpscc002cd7.jpg

 photo photo8_zps411a3fc0.jpg

 photo photo1_zpsdd4bca76.jpg

 photo photo3_zpsfb3946fb.jpg

 photo IMG_3912_zps44dc4371.jpg

The Halftime Dance:

 photo IMG_3916_zps9b38663f.jpg

 photo photo7_zps84c18c05.jpg

The "Hello" Cheer:

 photo photo6_zpse6c53257.jpg

The Football Players:

 photo photo4_zpsb175eb97.jpg

V-I-C-T-O-R-Y!

 photo photo5_zps0fab83cf.jpg

My girls might be tiny little third and fourth graders, but tonight they were ten feet tall.

 photo photo_zps5cd81563.jpg




1 comment:

  1. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd be saying anything about "Amie and cheer leading" in the same sentence, yet another hat for you you to wear. So proud of you and I bet Em thinks it's very cool too!
    a few seconds ago

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message-I need the entertainment!