Sunday, May 15, 2016

One Sunday

On Friday morning, I planned my family's meals for the next two weeks. I went to the grocery store and purchased everything I'd need for breakfasts, lunches and dinners. 

Friday afternoon, I ran five quick miles and came home to enjoy the evening with my family. 

On Saturday, I spent half of the day as an assistant to a wedding florist, readying the church and reception hall for a beautiful bride's special day. 

Saturday evening, I spent three hours running eighteen miles on the roads near my home. At the end, I was exhausted, but felt pretty good. Just six more weeks until the Charlevoix Marathon!

On Sunday morning, I enjoyed my coffee in silence before the rest of the house woke up, cleaned the kitchen after my son made pancakes, folded a couple loads of laundry, and got ready for church. 

After church we had planned to spend the day in the yard, doing some spring cleaning and having a bonfire. The whole family bundled up and headed out in the blustery weather. Thirty minutes into our afternoon, as I was moving some large sheets of plywood, I stepped back awkwardly and my left foot landed on a metal bar. 

And there was a snap. 

And then there was pain. 

And I thought I could walk it off, but I couldn't. In fact, I couldn't walk at all.

Jason carried me to the house where I quietly panicked. 

And then we went to urgent care. 

After a bunch of X-rays, it was determined I have a small fracture in my fifth metatarsal, also known as a Jones fracture. 

 photo FullSizeRender_zpshfnivrwz.jpg
(Not my foot.)

Does it hurt? Yes. But what hurts worse is the sadness and frustration, knowing I won't be running the Charlevoix Marathon, and possibly won't be running the rest of the summer. Months of running and strength training, lost to a split second moment in my yard. 

I have to go back in a week to see if it's healing or if surgery is needed. I'm told by the doctor, who is also a runner, that this type of fracture often doesn't like to heal properly, and that it's one of the worst injuries for a runner to have. 

So for now, I'll rest and recover and hope that this injury heals properly the first time, and that no further measures will be needed. 

 photo IMG_2526_zpsubiajlj2.jpg

I always wanted to write a book, and it looks like I'm going to have a lot of free time on my hands. 

2 comments:

  1. I will buy that book!! Hugs Martin!! If anyone can bounce back it's you!! Enjoy your much needed rest for what it's worth!! Love and hugs!! Stacey Fleming

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message-I need the entertainment!