Monday, August 21, 2017

Dear Children

A letter to my children as they begin a new school year...

Dear Children,
     It seems like you just signed yearbooks and said goodbye to your friends for the summer, but the new school year is upon you.  Like every mother, I have hopes and dreams for all of you, and wish to see you all accomplish everything you desire.  And probably also like every mother, I have little pieces of advice for each of you.

     To my oldest son, Owen, as you enter eighth grade, I encourage you to meet new people.  Starting now, the classes you attend and the activities you participate in will begin to form your social circle for years to come.  Say hello to the new kid, slide over on the bus when someone needs a seat, share your notes with the girl who was sick last week and missed class, grab a new tray for someone who drops their lunch.  Make friends with your classmates and get to know them-lean on them-because there will come a time when you need a friend to lean on in return.  You have a wonderful and smart sense of humor-let it shine!  In this, your last year before joining the high school crowd, be a leader.  Your peers, younger students, and your siblings will look to you as an example.  Make good choices and go the extra mile, I promise you that your efforts will not go unnoticed.

     To my daughter, Emerson, as you enter middle school as a seventh grader, embrace the change this year offers.  With six teachers and six classrooms of students, it's a whole new ballgame.  These next two years will be challenging ones.  New friendships will be made and others will fade away.  You will have to make hard decisions on what things you want to be priorities in your life.  You are smart and you are beautiful and I encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and let your true self-all of it-shine through.  Enjoy these middle school years and remember it's okay to be a kid-there will be plenty of time for all of that mature, grown-up stuff in your future.

     To my middle son, Greyson, as you enter fourth grade, be a role model.  Instead of dreading this new school year, you are openly excited, and I think that's a wonderful thing.  This is your last year in elementary school and it's your time to shine.  Show your teachers, your classmates and your family what you are capable of.  You are smart and creative and hard-working and I hope you share your talents with those who know you.  Let them see that getting your hands dirty and lending a helping hand are important life skills.  You see the world a little differently than most people, but when faced with challenges, you always come up with solutions.  Don't be afraid to voice your opinions and show people there is often more than one right answer.

     To my little Alayna, as you enter third grade, hold on to your sense of wonder.  I consider third grade a golden year, where kids are old enough to know what's going on, and still young enough to still have some innocence about them. You are kind-hearted, polite and full of life, and your laughter is contagious.  I encourage you to continue chasing your dreams and feeding your imagination.  Stand up for what you think is right, and do not be afraid to defend someone when they need help.  The world needs more love and more laughter, and you have so much of both to offer.

     To Nash, my baby, as you start school this year as a pre-kindergartener, be brave.  You've got your backpack and lunch box and brand new shoes and you are so excited to head off on this adventure. They say sending your children off to school is harder on the parents than on the children, and I think that's very true.  I've had you with me nearly always for the past four and a half years, and now I have to set you free.  You will have to make choices for yourself-lots of them-and I won't be there to offer you guidance.  I believe that I have done my best to raise you to be a kind, caring boy and that you will flourish this year at school.  Make friends, try new things, soak it in.  And even though I've had to let you go a little, you will always be my baby.  

     In closing, my children, be outgoing, embrace the change, be role models, dream big, and be brave.  Be the friend you'd like to have, take every opportunity to try new things, believe in yourselves.  And don't ever forget, that at the end of the day-every day-I am here, waiting for you to come back to me, to share your happy moments and your scary moments and your painful moments.  I am here to support you and to love you, no matter what the days may bring.

Love,
     Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message-I need the entertainment!