Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Days in Michigan

Aaaahhh, Summer.

It has been a good one. I realize that it's not over yet. In fact, we're smack-dab in the middle of summer. Day after day of ninety degree temperatures are upon us. I can't help but reflect, though, on all of the great times we've already had this summer.

After a week of getting settled down here in Tennessee, I packed up the kids and set out on a 23-day road trip. You think I'm crazy, don't you? I think you're right. There's just something about Michigan in the summertime that I can NOT resist. Hot days, cool nights, fantastic thunderstorms, and always some great times at the cabin.

I could go on and on about all we've experienced, but I think I'll let my photos tell the story this time...

There were baseball finals for Owen, complete with trophies.

Photobucket

Beach time with cousins we don't see often enough.

Photobucket

Pool time with cousins we don't see often enough.

Photobucket

An impromptu concert in downtown Gaylord, which we quickly turned into our own little party.

Photobucket

A 25th wedding anniversary celebration for my Aunt Jenny and Uncle Bob.

Photobucket

An 11th birthday for my niece, Avery and an 8th birthday for my nephew, Reid.

Photobucket

Three 2nd birthdays, for Alayna, Adyson and Julia, who are just 15 days apart.

Photobucket

A 60th birthday for my beautiful Mom.

Photobucket

Boat rides, which are never long enough or FAST enough for the kids.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Bonfires, full of s'mores, doughboys, and stories.

Photobucket

Plenty of swimming.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Baths in Otsego Lake.

Photobucket

A walk in the park. OK, more like a run in the park.

Photobucket

A Fourth of July celebration.

Photobucket

Tubing with my sister, which hasn't happened in YEARS.

Photobucket

TONS of ice cream.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

MANY cocktails on the beach, because it's always five o'clock somewhere, right?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

There was fishing, complete with stories we can share again and again.

Photobucket

Photobucket

A little gathering to watch little ones put on a play in the late afternoon sunshine.

Photobucket

Jet-Ski rides, regardless of whether it was actually moving or not.

Photobucket

General lounging around, when breakfast is over and it's not quite time to hit the beach.

Photobucket

The time of day when the beach gets too hot and we migrate to the dock to cool our bodies.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Water-skiing by everyone-including my MOM! She ROCKS!

Photobucket

And the most fabulous sunsets you'll ever see; each one unique and breath-taking.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was a great trip, filled with family and friends and celebrations. Some things about my summers never change, but there are always new additions to my stories; there are always new people who are added into my mix.

And though they may be growing up a little too quickly, I always cherish my time with these four kids:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



I question not if thrushes sing,
If roses load the air;
Beyond my heart I need not reach
When all is summer there.

- John Vance Cheney

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. ok, now you've done it! It's the first time I've actually cried with almost every picture; maybe it's the distance that separates us now. Great blog; start writing that book! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the most warm and amazing family, immediate and extended. I love seeing the pics and reading the captions. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn Lou, that was a good one. All those pics you take sure come together well. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message-I need the entertainment!