Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Adventureland

Today we set aside the Play Doh. Today we left our beds unmade. Today we hurried through our breakfast. Today we had plans.

Today called for an adventure.

I've been dying to explore this new place we're living in. There is so much to experience, right here in our small town, and today I couldn't wait any longer. I HAD to see what was out there. I knew as soon as I mentioned the word "adventure" to my kids, they'd be excited.

Three miles from our house we have a cave. To a child, there are few things more mysterious than a cave. Caves have bats! And secret rooms! And the whole caveman thing! We HAD to explore this cave.

I did a little bit of research about this park before we headed out-I wanted to know what I was getting myself into. In addition to the cave, there were hiking trails, too, for every skill level. I figured we'd check out the cave, take a little stroll on the beginner trail and everyone would be happy.

Photobucket

Things started out well, with this moth making fast friends with Owen.

Photobucket

Just a little futher down the trail we found the cave. After only a slight hesitation, the kids ran right in. You could feel the damp, cool air rushing out from the mouth.

Photobucket

Emerson found a little ledge to climb up on...

Photobucket

And Owen climbed a bit further until he was much higher than me!

Photobucket

There were all kinds of nooks and crannies to check out.

Photobucket

General consensus: This cave was cool.

Photobucket

Next to the cave was a small lake. You know what that means, right? Fish. And ducks. And frogs. Pretty much all my kids need to have a great time. I had to PRY them away from the water's edge.

Photobucket

There was a short trail that wound it's way around the lake, and I thought we'd take that route back to our starting point. Along the way, we came upon this FABULOUS tree, beautiful not only for its glorious roots, but for the thousands of names that had been carved into its bark throughout the years.

Photobucket

Soon, the trail along the lake took a slight turn into the forest. We faced a small hill, but the kids were in good spirits so we climbed to the top. There to greet us was this gigantic spider web.

Photobucket

I paused just long enough to snap a quick photo and then pushed onward, not wanting to meet the eight-legged creature that had created it.

We enjoyed this trail-the ups and downs, stopping occasionally to point out a bird, or a bug, or a tree, or a rock. And who could resist a few photos?

Photobucket

These two trees, were favorites of the kids and they all wanted a turn to pose for a picture between them:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Further and further down this trail we walked. Deeper and deeper into the forest, we saw fewer and fewer people walk past us. Soon the questions started coming. "Mom, are we almost out of here yet?" "Mom, why aren't there any other people out here?" "Mom, did you bring any juice boxes?" "Mom, did you bring your phone?"

I realized that we had somehow ended up on the 3 mile, experienced-hiker loop, rather than the quick and easy loop I had planned on. I figured we were probably smack-dab in the middle of that trail, and turning around would be just as bad as continuing on. Alayna was getting heavier by the minute on my back and the kids were drenched with sweat. We found a little bench and I MIRACULOUSLY produced five semi-cold juice boxes from my backpack. We all chugged them instantly, not even stopping for a breath.

Photobucket

I knew the worst part was yet to come, as we still had to find our way out of this forest and the biting bugs were starting to swarm. So, we took off down that trail with our spirits minorly refreshed. After a few more minutes, the juice boxes had worn off and a new set of comments were voiced: "Mom, I need Dad to come and carry me." "Mom, I can't walk anymore." "Mom, YOU carry me." I decided to sing a song, hoping to take their minds off of this situation. Owen suggested I sing "The Bear Went Over the Mountain" but as I was singing, Emerson interrupted me to tell me she HATES that bear and MOUNTAINS ARE NO FUN. I'm pretty sure NINETY-FIVE PERCENT of the trail we hiked was UPHILL. SERIOUSLY.

Then there were MORE comments: "Mom, WHERE is the end of this trail?!" "MOM, maybe we should call someone to come and save us." "Mom, I wish you had chosen a DIFFERENT adventure."

And then, for the last half of a mile, Greyson just cried. Well, wailed is more like it. He was crying so loudly I was SURE they were going to send out a search party to FIND THE CRYING BOY AND MAKE HIM STOP.

I think I might have started crying, except I had produced SO much sweat already that I'm pretty sure my body was completely out of moisture.

Just then we turned the last corner and the end was in sight. The REAL end. As we got into the car, Owen's final remark was, "Mom, I don't ever want to come here again. Until Winter."

Agreed.

You think that's the end of this story, don't you? Well, it ain't over yet, y'all. I could NOT let that be the way this adventure ended. There's only one thing left to do when your car tells you this:

Photobucket

That's right. We needed a water park. Badly. Luckily, we've got one just over the border in Kentucky, and it was PERFECT.

Perfect for Alayna:

Photobucket

Perfect for Greyson:

Photobucket

Perfect for Emerson:

Photobucket

Perfect for Owen:

Photobucket

It was JUST what we all needed. We splashed, and played, and sprayed, and just sat around and it was HEAVENLY.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And the ride home? Well, that was quiet.

Photobucket

And THAT, my friends, is how we have an adventure around these parts.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. What a great story and a very memorable day. I'm sure they won't forget the cave and trail day for a very long time. At least they got to cool off at the water park. Wondering how your body is going to feel tomorrow after carrying Alayna on your back for over 3 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a perfect day for y'all! I loved all the pics too xo

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message-I need the entertainment!