Thursday, October 29, 2015

Be a Good One

"The most important thing she'd learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one."  -Jill Churchill


As a stay-at-home mom of five children, I often feel less like a mom and more like I'm providing some sort of catch-all service.  I'm a cook and a maid and a nurse and a handyman and a hairdresser and a wardrobe consultant and a party planner and a chauffeur and and delivery man and a peace-keeper and and a disciplinarian.  It's a twenty-four hour, seven-days-a-week job.  There is no vacation time-even on vacation.  Sure, I get a break every now and then, but I'm still on call.  During those breaks, no one is filling in for me-the work just piles up.  And believe me, there is always something to do.  From laundry, to meal planning, to grocery shopping, to house cleaning, to bill paying, to helping out at school, to making sure everyone has everything they need for that day when they walk out the door in the mornings.  People often ask me how I do it all.  They tell me that they only have two kids and they have a hard time keeping up with things, and how exactly do you DO it all?  I just shrug and murmur that I'm highly organized.  Usually when I get the "How do you do it all" question, what I really hear is, "You're a little crazy."  When I'm out in public with the kids, I regularly receive several "Are they all yours?", "You've got your hands full!", and "Bless your heart." comments.    I chose this life, and I believe if you're going to do something-anything-you should do it to the very best of your ability.  It might be a nonstop, never-ending job, but the pay and the perks are well worth it.  What pay and what perks, you ask?  My payment and perks come in the form of random hugs and kisses, thank yous when I've made a favorite dinner, laughter when we play tickle games, squeals of delight when a bag of new craft supplies appears for no particular reason, small grins when they find I've made tasty treats while they've been at school, late night hand-delivered drawings of our family, and even texts when I'm away asking if I'll be home to kiss them goodnight.

I recently gave my school-aged children a small assignment.  I wanted them each, individually and privately, to write down five things that they think are a part of my job as their mother.  At the top of everyone's list was Food.  I guess that's a no-brainer, right?  Feeding my family is a very important part of every day.
Next on the list: Help.  Help us get ready for school.  Help us at bath time.  Help us get a good education.
Then I could tell that they started to really think about what else should be on their lists.  Keep us healthy.  Keep us in shape.  Make sure we get enough exercise.  Make sure we are active and involved with things.
And on everyone's list, there was one more answer-one more thing that, when they all sat and really thought about what my job involves, was very important to them: Spend time with us as we grow up.

That's really the most important thing, isn't it?  TIME.  Everyone has time, and we are all in charge of how we spend our own time.  We prioritize our lives, allotting time for work, play, sleep.  Do you know when the best times happen around here?  When we haven't made plans-when we haven't scheduled every minute of every day.  The best times are the Saturday mornings when the kids drift down from their beds, one by one, to snuggle with us or each other on the couch.  The best times are when we're working in the yard and the kids have been playing outside all day and we build a bonfire and eat snacks for dinner because, why not?  The best times are when unexpected family or friends stop by, just to say hi, and end up staying for hours.  The best times are when we decide on a whim to pack it up and head for the lake or the ocean because, what's stopping us?  The best times are when we all decide to stay up late for a movie and the kids eventually nod off to sleep because they know mom and dad secretly love carrying them up the stairs and tucking them into their beds.

So, how do I do it?  To tell the truth, I really am highly organized.  I'm also a little crazy.  And to answer those questions from family, friends, and random passersby:  They ARE all mine, my hands ARE full, and I feel VERY blessed.

"I will let them be little, fill their hearts with laughter, help them grow wings, nurture their sense of wonder, inspire them to believe, and love them like there is no tomorrow." -Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message-I need the entertainment!