Saturday, October 10, 2015

Greyson is Eight

There's always one, right? There's always that one child who keeps you on your toes and questions every single thing you say and has answer for everything. That child for me is my middle child, Greyson.
 photo IMG_5823_zpswwd5ovuh.jpg

And while Greyson has always been that one child, this year, he's taken it to a new level. For instance, in the mornings when I go into his room to wake him up for school, he has requested that instead of just opening the door and saying his name, I should ring a small bell he has on his bedside table. Why a bell? Because he likes the sound it makes and it's much nicer to wake up to than my voice. 

   photo IMG_5658_zpsv5rb4g2p.jpg

Also, Grey is no longer content getting dressed as soon as he wakes up. This takes up too much time, you see. He now puts on his clothes and socks for the next day right before he goes to bed. Greyson is all about efficiency. (And I am all about choosing my battles wisely.)

 photo IMG_2380_zpsbwhf8ljx.jpg

 Greyson has never been a child who has been excited about school, but he recently informed me that he's probably not going to go to school longer than I make him, because he "already knows everything worth knowing."

 photo IMG_6833_zpsco0xaceg.jpg


I remember those frustrating toddler years when Grey didn't speak. He would hum along to songs on the radio and even make up a few of his own tunes. These days, he listens to the radio or watches YouTube videos and makes it his mission to learn every word correctly to every country song. He won't actually sing along to them if he thinks anyone can hear him, but once in a while I can catch him rocking out to some Zac Brown Band or Blake Shelton.

 photo IMG_6601_zpskakdaitu.jpg
\

 Speaking of YouTube, let me tell you about Greyson's favorite videos to watch. These include, Extreme Snowmobiling, Extreme Dirt Biking, Extreme Dirt bike Fails, and pretty much anything else with the word "Extreme" in front of it.

 photo IMG_2132_zps6kqd19qo.jpg

 photo IMG_6742_zpsmvt0bxbq.jpg


He took his first spin on a dirt bike this year, and hasn't been the same since. After school, he quickly drops his backpack and picks up his helmet and off he goes to get dirty and take chances. He is quite the daredevil and has made friends with the neighbor boys who share his love of the sport.

 photo IMG_2629_zps4oeb4t20.jpg


 Between YouTube and the dirt bike, Grey still finds time to help out whenever he can. He loves mowing the grass on the riding lawnmower, and he loves anything involving power tools or building.

 photo IMG_2518_zpsdutavgag.jpg

Grey also stepped out of his comfort zone this year and joined the summer swim team. And while the other kids would listen to the instructors and patiently wait for their turn to practice a new stroke or kick, Grey would be doing underwater handstands or doing back flips or seeing how long he could hold his breath with just his face in the water. Somehow, though, he managed to learn the breaststroke, backstroke, and freestyle, and during races he made everyone laugh with his carefree jokester approach to competition.

 photo IMG_7266_zpsdoktt4s7.jpg


 This year, when I asked him what he wanted for his birthday, Grey gave me this list: a motorcycle, a 4-wheeler, a snowmobile, a trailer, and wood. What's the wood for? To make his own garage to store all of these toys, of course!

 photo IMG_6005_zpsernfizxf.jpg


 As if all of these things aren't enough to make Grey the unique boy that he is, I'd like to mention one more thing: Food. Food is a very touchy subject for Grey. As with everything else in his life, he is very particular about what is for dinner, and exactly which parts of the dinner I will be making him eat. His favorite foods include salad, peppers, baked potatoes and fruit. He loves chicken and biscuits, as long as he doesn't have to eat the chicken, spaghetti and meatballs, but skip the meatballs, and a complete turkey dinner, without the turkey. In fact, if I'm in the mood to see Greyson flip out, I'll tell him we're having steak for dinner. I might as well tell him I'm serving him POISON.

 photo IMG_9215_zpssvv4ylpp.jpg


 So, I know I've said many times that Grey is a handful, but really, he wouldn't BE Greyson without all of his opinions and mannerisms. Someday, after I make him finish school, he's going to do great things. His ambitions, his determination, and his stubbornness will take him far. Oh, and by the way, if you ask him why he is the way he is or why he acts the way he acts, he's got an answer for you: He can't help it-that's the way he was born!

 photo IMG_6665_zpsob2zaftm.jpg

Happy 8th Birthday, Grey!  Momma loves you!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message-I need the entertainment!