Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Town

Summer is inching its way out of Tennessee ever so slowly. The days are still warm, but not excruciating, and the nights are cooler, but not chilly. It's a great time of year, this late-summer season. It's perfect for football, and riding bikes, and cookouts.

If you're a farmer? It's the perfect time to harvest your tobacco.

Photobucket

You might wonder what late summer smells like in my town. The air is filled with the distinct smell of tobacco. Scattered across the countryside, you'll find barns-barns of all shapes and sizes and in various stages of repair-filled with tobacco that must be dried before it is sold.

Photobucket

Photobucket

My town has some wonderful country roads. I never leave home without my camera, because, without fail, I find a scene DAILY that takes my breath away. It's the simple, country life that makes this town so appealing. This part of my town hasn't changed in years.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

You might think we've got nothing but farmland around here, but that's not the case. MY town is also home to a military base. Around here, freedom is celebrated every day. Service men and women are treated with the utmost respect and honored in a way I've not experienced. There are reminders of their sacrifices everywhere.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

If you venture into the heart of the city, you'll find that my town is also a college town. Old buildings with beautiful architecture line the streets, everything a college student needs within walking distance.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have to say, my favorite part of my town is the view. From the banks of the Cumberland River, to the rolling hills of farmland, to the calm waters of lakes and ponds, to the skies that are always filled with surprises.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Things move at a slower pace down here, but I'm finding my groove. Soon enough, we'll trade our shorts and tanktops for blue jeans and sweatshirts. As the days get shorter, the smell of tobacco in the air will fade, to be replaced by crunchy leaves and the first signs of frost. But right now, I'm enjoying this late summer in my town.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Loved it! Loved all the pictures too! It seems you keep finding more and more cool things there. I hope you are having fun and won't find Michigan boring if you ever come home. Miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message-I need the entertainment!