Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Something For Everyone

It was a good weekend.

Nana and Grandpa came for a visit, and they gave us all a fun-filled weekend. On Saturday, Jason and I got some much-needed adult time. And when we get this very infrequent time without kids, where do we go?

Nashville, BABY.

I can't say enough about how much I love being in Nashville. The lights on Broadway are always so enticing, the people are always a comfy mix of Tennessee natives and out-of-town tourists, and the music is always just my style. I frequent the same restaurants, have my favorite bands and bars, but the city never fails to surprise me. It's always slightly different from the times before.

A couple things that never change? Good drinks and good friends.

Photobucket

Photobucket


And then, I'm not sure how, but on Sunday I got REALLY lucky. We decided to take the entire family to Nashville for the afternoon. Nashville! Two days in a row!

Photobucket

The reason for the trip was boot shopping. Jason and I had decided that when we moved to Tennessee we wanted REAL boots. His parents offered to buy them for us as joint Christmas/Birthday gifts. I can't think of anything better. Now, I don't know if you know about my shopping ways, but I don't mess around. I know what I want, I get in and get out. And Jason? Jason can spend an hour picking out a greeting card. He actually found some boots he liked right away, but THEN had to go to EVERY. OTHER. BOOT. STORE. IN. TOWN. Just to be sure.

Along the way, we met a balloon man-a very friendly balloon man. But, of course, my children were DEATHLY afraid of him.

Photobucket

They worked up some courage, with Emerson taking the lead, and in the end, they all ended up with the balloon creation of their choice.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Little Miss Emerson was totally into posing ALL day, of course.

Photobucket


Sunday was also the tenth anniversary of the events of September 11, 2001. There was a small memorial in the city while we were there, and Owen and Emerson showed their patriotism.

Photobucket

Owen was quite interested in exactly what happened on that terrible day, and we spent the trip home explaining it to him, in a way appropriate for a seven year old. His questions are getting more difficult to answer the older he gets, and we always try to be straight-forward and honest with our responses. He's such a thoughtful boy.

Photobucket


In then end, we DID end up with some FABULOUS boots. BOTH of us. Wanna see? Just a little sneak-peek for now...

Photobucket


You think the day ended there, don't you? Not quite. Nana and Grandpa offered to take the kids to the pool for a couple of hours and Jason and I snuck away on our own little adventure.

Photobucket

With the move and our busy life, it was my first trip on the bike of this entire summer. Oh, how I missed it. I'd like to go on record right now and say that Tennessee has some of the most fabulous backroads for touring on the Harley. The trip was a good one. The sun peeked through just long enough for us to finish our ride before the rain came.

Photobucket


On Monday, it was back to business as usual. While Jason went off to work and the older kids went off to school, Alayna and I hung out with Nana and Grandpa. My kids have a small obsession with homemade strawberry jam, and Jason's mom offered to show me how to make it. The end result? Pure yumminess.

Photobucket

And while the grandparents went to the school to have lunch with Owen and Emerson, I made a little treat of my own for everyone...

Photobucket


I love this time in my life where things are simple-the kids are easily pleased with jam and cookies and visits from family. It's a time where a game of UNO or Duck, Duck, Goose is enough to put smiles on their faces. Where a quick trip to the park, or an ice cream cone on the deck after dinner is still a special treat. These are the days I will remember-the days filled with simple pleasures.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. That was wonderful; I love reading your blogs! I wish I lived closer so I could visit more often but am so glad Steve and Linda could spend some time with all of you! Looks like Nashville is a fun place to be; just hope you don't get too comfortable there! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message-I need the entertainment!