Friday, July 16, 2010

A Glimpse of What's to Come

I'm not going to lie-I try to shelter my kids. There will be plenty of time in the future for corruption, whether it comes from television, the Internet, friends, or even me. But now is not the time. And frankly, neither is tomorrow. I'm pushing Dora over Pokemon and nursery rhymes over anything that happens to be on the radio.

Conversations with my kids cover such things as planets, dinosaurs, gardening, and those things that live in the darkness at the bottom of the sea. And I'm not the one who initiates these conversations. The kids come up with these questions, some of which I can answer, and some I pass off to Jason or Papa or Grandpa or even great-grandmas, if needed.

As for the actual LANGUAGE they use? I don't allow words like "stupid" or "hate" or any of those poop/potty/butt words that kids find so funny. Sure, I slip one out here and there. I've even slipped out a genuine curse word. (OK, many curse words.) But the kids know they aren't words they can use.

For entertainment while we're traveling, I let the kids keep notebooks and markers in the car for drawing pictures and writing little notes. I always keep the notebooks when they get full-I love to look back on all of their artwork!

You can imagine my surprise when I recently heard the following conversation out of the back of our van:

Em: Owen, I have an idea. Let's write all the words we know in our notebooks.
Owen: Em, I have an ever better idea. Let's write all the BAD words we know in our notebooks.
Em: OK, but I don't know that many.
Owen: Well I do. MOM, HOW DO YOU SPELL "HELL"???

And here's what he had written when I looked at his notebook when we got home:

Photobucket

I guess I need to lay off the curse words...

4 comments:

  1. LOL okay, but admit it, isn't it just a teensy weensy bit funny?

    We swear a lot at our house. A lot. It's probably cut in half since my daughter was born, but I have a feeling that a notebook like this might be in my future...

    Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg LOL that's kinda funny. sorry. i had to laugh. oh the joys of motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love It!

    I swear Alot. LOL. You know it.

    Im just glad he didn't write anything that had eye in the sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amie, That is the funniest story I've heard in a long time. My day has been in the toilet as far as parenting goes. Your story about em and owen made me laugh so hard! And the song from your play list "your gonna miss this" just brought laughing tears to my eyes!! Thanks gal! I really needed this right now! I miss you! I love your heart and how you speak of your family. That is the best.....I feel better now, thanks. ;0)Stacey

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message-I need the entertainment!