Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Birds and The Bees...Sort Of

With all of the babies coming out of this house, there is inevitably a lot of talk about everything from birth, to breastfeeding, to developmental milestones.

When I was pregnant with Alayna, Owen asked THE question. The "where do babies come from" question. So, I made it as simple as possible: God gives daddy a special seed and he puts that seed into mommy and a baby grows.

What did Owen hear me say? "God gives daddy a special MACHINE." Now, that in itself has brought about many humorous conversations. I can't wait for the day that he tells his friends where babies come from.

When I said that there is talk about birth in our house? Maybe you misunderstood me. Emerson knows just about everything about birth. She knows about vaginal birth, cesarian birth, pushing, bleeding and placentas. And she is five.

Here is our conversation this morning on the way to school:

Em: Mom, how old do you have to be to have babies?
Me: Well, you have to be at least in your twenties, and you have to be married.
Em: I only want one baby.
Me: No brothers or sisters?
Em: OK, I'll have two babies-a boy and a girl. But I don't want them to come out of my belly. I want to push them out.
Me: That sounds like a good plan. That's what I did.
Em: I don't want my belly cut open like Aunt Melissa.
Me: They had to cut Melissa open because Adyson was turned the wrong way and she couldn't push her out.
Em: And I don't want twins.
Me: Well, you probably won't have twins, but you never know...God decides how many babies you'll have.
Em: What about the special machine dads have?!
Me: Well, dads help, too.
Em: Who will be the dad?
Me: Whoever you have as your husband will be the dad.
Em: If I have a boyfriend do I have to keep him?
Me: No, that's the good thing about boyfriends. You get to go out to dinner and to the movies and meet their families and decide whether you really like them or not. If you don't like them you can find a new boyfriend and if you do like them you can marry them.
Em: Do I get to wear a white dress?
Me: Of course!
Em: Well, I don't want to just wear it when I get married. I want to wear it to other weddings and out to dinner, too.

6 comments:

  1. lol! she cracks me up! She and I think the same... I would like to wear my dress to other places too. Maybe we should have a get-together and all wear our dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL.. Too funny. Smart Girl. That dress is a waste of money if you don't wear it again. I am just waiting for the day I can get mine zipped up again, and then I may hit the town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL this is so super cute. She's so smart and funny. I told Hannah that God puts babies in our bellies after we pray for them. She was 5 as well and was on her knees a lot asking God for a baby...and a GIRL. And she'd tell me that God better not put a boy in there because she ordered a girl! LOL these kids are too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was the funniest convo ever! All of your kids are so darn smart and hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was really funny. Glad you were there to answer her questions and she didn't ask me. I'd have to tell her to ask her mom. She's smarter than any 5 year old should be. Ha! PS....love the Billy Joel song you added.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this was the cutest thing ever and made my night. ♥ Yay for blogging - these are the things said in passing that we'd forget over time!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message-I need the entertainment!