Wednesday, October 6, 2010

An Annual Event

This is a busy time of year. September brings not only the beginning of a new school year, but also a change in seasons. For me, that means getting used to three separate school schedules, enjoying some mommy and baby time with Alayna, digging harvest decorations out of their bins, and switching the dressers and closets from tank tops, shorts and sun dresses to sweaters, long pants, and jackets.

If you're not from Michigan, you might be able to get by with just one coat. But here? You need several. You need the "warm-by-day, chilly-by-night" jacket, the "all-day-wind-and-frost-at-night" jacket, the "it's-cold-but-I-don't-want-to-look-like-a-complete-idiot-in-my-winter-coat" jacket, and the "dude-I-am-FREEZING" coat. For this reason, closet space is in HIGH demand. So, we rotate clothes in and out as needed.

Sunday was a cool day, with the temperature hovering right around fifty degrees. That might sound cold to you, but that's how we Michiganders do fall. We also do fall at eighty degrees. YOU JUST NEVER KNOW. See? Isn't Michigan EXCITING?!

Anyway.

Between Jason's work schedule, birthday parties, and Halloween in the mix, our October is JAM-packed. So, we made concrete plans to head to the orchard, and Sunday was that day. The kids were very excited, and had been counting the days all week. We have a few orchards near here, but we headed back to my hometown of Flushing and visited Al-Mar Orchard. I like this place because it's small and never too busy, but they've got lots to do for the whole family. Aside from the orchard part of it, they also offer hayrides, playground toys, and a farm with everything from goats to chickens to turkeys to reindeer. Santa's reindeer, if you ask my kids. Are there any other kind?!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

See Owen's hat? My grandma, Nanu, made me that hat back in college and I pull it out every year for Halloween. Owen swiped it for the day, and I was proud to share it with him.

And see Alayna with that goat? I cannot begin to tell you how much she loves animals. It is crazy. Dogs, cate, birds, squirrels, cows. She loves them all and when she sees or even just hears them, she makes the cutest high-pitched squeak noises, attempting to converse with them, I'm sure.

After visiting the animals, and then WASHING FURIOUSLY, we snagged some fresh cider and donuts and ate them right there on the spot. Cider and donuts fresh from the orchard? Totally on my BEST THINGS EVER list. I think Alayna agrees...
Photobucket

Then we headed over to pick out some pumpkins. We had been scoping out a few places around town, and finally settled on a little place out in the country. It is just a small family farm, but the pumpkins were BEAUTIFUL. And the best part? There was just a box, attached to the cart, where you drop your money when you've picked out your pumpkins. Total honor system. Just one of many reasons why we love our town.

The only rule we make when picking out pumpkins? YOU MUST BE ABLE TO LIFT AND CARRY YOUR OWN PUMPKIN. Simple enough. We're not lugging out pumpkins for our kids. They have to carry them. It makes the whole process pretty easy. No fighting over who gets which pumpkin. What made today EXTRA-special? Emerson got bored between the orchard and the pumpkin patch and made some artwork.

On. Her. Face. WITH MARKERS.
Photobucket

Good thing they were washable markers.

In the end, everyone left with the absolute best pumpkin they could choose. And they were happy.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Loved this whole post! It literally had me "laughing out loud" in a couple spots. You are a very good writer; I think you need to write a book. Maybe you could be the next J.K.Rowling! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very funny! we need to get to an orchard too... we may go Saturday after the pumpkin fest. btw, you will have to tell me where those pumpkins are, they are REALLY good ones!

    I loved Em's make-up and Grey was very happy to be there! Cute hats on all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I told you on FB, this makes me so excited to go to our patch this weekend. Course here it'll be 85 degrees and no fall leaves BUT we will make it as fall as we can, like Kelle says. Complete with fall clothes and lots of pics. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't get over how adorable your family is. Isn't it fun to make an adventure out of pumpkin picking? Love it! We have an "honor system" pumpkin patch too. It's so lovely to live in a smallish community.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message-I need the entertainment!