Monday, August 9, 2010

A Whole Lotta Nothin'

Its a rare thing around here to have a complete weekend with absolutely NO plans, but last weekend the stars aligned and there we were: facing Friday with not one thing on our plate for the entire weekend.
Friday night we loaded up the family and headed to our friend's house. They have a pool, a trampoline and blackberry bushes. Can I just say the kids were in H-E-A-V-E-N?! And for the grown-ups: ice cold beer from the house keg. I think we need to visit more often! Seriously, though, its always great seeing them to catch up on what's been going on and to trade parenting tips and see their adorable little boy in action. Here's Alayna, fresh from her swim!
Photobucket

On Saturday we decided it would be a nice little gift to our neighbors if we did a little yard work. And by "a little", I mean a SHIT-TON. Yes, Jason mows the grass, right on cue with our ANAL neighbors, but with his hectic work schedule and my SHEER LACK OF DESIRE, the yard isn't exactly in tip-top shape. Two years ago when we bought this house we were SO excited to live in a subdivision with mature landscaping. I'd like to say that we OFFICIALLY take it back. I think if we spent about three full weeks in our yard you might notice that we did some work out there. That's how bad it is. So, after about five hours of that nonsense, we called my parents and talked them into having us to dinner. (Yay!) We spent the evening throwing the football, hunting for raspberries, savoring the BEST sweet corn of the season, and taking an impromptu run through the sprinkler.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sunday morning we arranged for Nana and Grandpa to spend some time with the kids while Jason and I set out on a little Harley ride.
Photobucket

We love strapping the helmets on and heading down back roads to explore towns no bigger than a stop sign and a gas station. There is something so calming about endless fields of corn and the smell of fresh manure...I mean flowers. Its always nice when we can find some time for just the two of us to be together. On our way back home, Jason hopped off and let me take the bike for a ride-something I don't do too often, mainly because it is SO heavy. I really need my own Amie-sized bike!
Photobucket
Photobucket

Then we headed back to pick up the kids and had a little cookout with MORE sweet corn. I can't get enough!
As it turns out, our weekend of absolutely nothing turned into a weekend of a whole lot of memories. And while I, of course, remember the big trips my family took when I was young, its memories like THESE that hold a special place in my heart: the lazy days of summer, spent with friends and family.

3 comments:

  1. love the pics! you guys always do fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you make everything look so effortless?

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like we had similar weekends - minus the motorcycle ride :) I live for weekends w/ no commitments --so few and far btwn for us!! Great pics too - your daughter looks just like you, lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message-I need the entertainment!