Friday, November 18, 2016

The In-Laws

Thirty Days of Thankfulness, Day 19

I first met these two people in the summer of 1999 at the Buick Open golf tournament. I was there with my new boyfriend, and he mentioned that his parents were there, too, and that we should go and say hello.  I wonder if they had any inkling that in less than two years I'd be married to their son and in the years that followed we would give them five grandchildren.

These people, my in-laws, are Steve and Linda Martin.  They're not your typical I-dread-my-in-laws type in-laws.  These two are mentors and friends and I'd have to say I got pretty lucky in the in-law department.


Although they're both retired, Steve and Linda are quite busy.  Steve is in the Marine Corps League and also finds time to do quite a bit of volunteer work, along with Linda.  Oh, and did I mention they like to golf?  I mean, they don't just like to golf, they love it.  They are both in weekly golf leagues and also play several other rounds per week with friends. Of course, both of their children are golfers and they're doing a great job of turning their grandchildren into little golfers, as well.



Steve and Linda have a great network of friends.  Along with their golfing buddies, there are also cribbage friends, walking friends, friends who leave for warmer temperatures in the winter, friends who are always up for meeting for dinner, and friends whom they don't get to see as often but still hold a special place in their hearts.  They are kind and giving and the life of any party and I'm certain their friends would agree.



Even with all of their busyness, there is one thing that takes precedence for them over everything else: family.  Their two married children and ten grandchildren are their top priority.  Steve has helped us so much here at the farm, as well as Kelly and Jim with their new house.  I am pretty sure our siding still wouldn't be completed if it weren't for all of the time he spent here, up on a ladder, helping us.  And if you know Linda, you know she lives for her grandkids.  She is at as many school functions and sporting events as she can manage.  I don't really know how she fits it all in, but she always magically appears right at game time, often accompanied by Steve.  We spend time with them in Florida every March, and although Steve would like to stay longer, Linda is always ready after their month there to get back home to the grandkids.  They are both very hands-on with all of the little ones and my kids definitely know they are loved and treasured by Nana and Grandpa.




If you know these two, I am sure you share my love of them.  I had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with Linda's father and Steve's mother in their last years of life and I loved getting to know them through their parents' eyes.  I learned so much about them through the stories I was told about their childhoods.  Whenever I'm not feeling quite right about something, or am just looking for another opinion, both Steve and Linda always give great advice and have encouraging words without being judgmental.  They are true treasures and I am thankful that they are in my life and the lives of my children.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message-I need the entertainment!